20 Quotes of the Man who Moved the Boundaries: Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is widely regarded as one of the greatest American leaders of all time.
His impact on America is apparent long after his assassination in 1968.
Even though he was a great orator, civil rights advocate, and leader, King’s most well-known achievement was transforming civil rights in America by using nonviolent methods of activism. Here are some facts about Dr. King.
Interesting Facts about Martin Luther King
- Born Michael Luther King, Jr., but changed into Martin because his father change his in honor of the founder of the Lutheran denomination.
- In 1964 he was the youngest man to have received the Nobel Peace Prize, and donated his $ 54, 124 prize money to the civil rights movement.
- He became the first black American to be honored as Time Magazine’s Man of the Year.
- King was a highly educated man with bachelor’s degrees in sociology and divinity, and a Ph.D. in systematic theology.
- King’s most famous speech is his “I Have a Dream” speech. He performed it in 1963 in front of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C. to a crowd of over a quarter of a million people.
- On April 4, 1968, Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated in Memphis, Tennessee. He was shot by James Earl Ray.
- King’s favorite song was “Take My hand, Precious Lord.” The song was sung at his funeral by his friend, Mahalia Jackson.
Read more on the next page…
Comments are closed.
Join our FB page
Our vision is to inspire readers, to give them support and advice.We are here to gain your trust, and we want to hear all your opinions.Learn more
* You will receive the latest news and updates on your favorite celebrities!